Women in Academic Medicine
The Women in Academic Medicine (WIAM) group at the UMMSM was formally and voluntarily established in 2008. Bylaws were created in 2013 and, as of September 2014, WIAM advisory board is currently led by Dr. Lilian Abbo, President, Dr. Ivette Motola, Vice-President, and Dr. Hilit Mechaber as Past-President for a 2-year term until August 2016. Drs. Abbo and Motola also serve as the institutional representatives to the AAMC Group on Women in Medicine and Science.
- To support and promote the career development of women faculty at the UMMSM.
- To promote clinical, scientific and teaching excellence in women faculty of the UMMSM.
- To increase the representation, participation and leadership of women in the organizational structure of the UMMSM and its standing committees.
- To promote strategies to enhance the recruitment, retention, and professional advancement (including rank, salary, appointment, promotion, and tenure) of women faculty in the UMMSM.
- To encourage social and professional relationships in order to develop leadership, advocacy, and strategic alliances for the benefit of women in medicine at UMMSM.
- To provide mentorship and support for women faculty, housestaff, and medical and graduate students at the UMMSM.
- To eliminate gender discrimination and harassment at all levels at the UMMSM.
- To create and promote a positive and healthy work environment for women.
- To sponsor and support high-quality faculty development opportunities for women faculty within the UMMSM.
- To build a supportive community for faculty, from both within and outside the institution.
- Develop a structured long-term women leadership development program at the UMMSM that could then be expanded to all non-medical schools at the University of Miami.
You may contact us at:
Office of Diversity and Inclusion (305) 243-7146